Growth Mindset: Beyond School

Growth Mindset Beyond School

Image result for working out
Working Out
Source: Google Image
I always feel so disorganized when it comes to school and my life in general, especially in regards to time management, but one aspect of my life I am pretty proud of is my physical fitness. Two years ago I decided I wanted to make a change, and I went to the internet to find the best way to do so. I was always active in school; I played basketball throughout all of my primary years, but once I got to college there weren't any sports to keep my physical health on track. For the first time ever, I had to take control of my body. I tried working out at the gym and just felt stupid because I didn't know what any of the machines did. I tried running, but quickly discovered I absolute hate it unless there is a basketball in my hand. I tried to play basketball, but I don't have many friends that like to play and am too anxious to ask a stranger to play. So for the first year and half of college, I didn't do much. I gained weight, but that wasn't my biggest problem. I just felt gross all of the time. On January 26th, 2017, I decided to change my mindset and was determined to find a workout plan that works for me. I looked up tips on how to stay motivated, and the biggest one that helped me was it takes 21 days for a habit to form. I just had to force myself to workout consistently for 21 days, and then it wouldn't as hard anymore. Two years later, I workout between 4 and 5 times a week and am able to do things I never thought was possible. I can play basketball for much longer, outlast my extremely active boyfriend in activities, and am able to walk across campus in less than 10 minutes without running out of breath! Although I still struggle with food, being able to stick with working out for this long is definitely something I am proud of. If I go one day without working out, even my rest days, I feel like my day is incomplete, and I go to bed feeling unsatisfied. Eventually, I will apply this same idea of habit-forming to my school and work life in order to manage my time better, but for now, I am too busy playing catch up! 

Comments

Popular Posts